Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Prompt #6

Posted by Meghan

Armstrong Elementary educates a diverse group of students in kindergarten and first grade. 62% of the students at Armstrong are Hispanic, 17% are Asian, 12% are African-American and 8% are Caucasian (Infoworks 2008). In this group, many sociocultural and linguistic differences exist. Each week, I work with one kindergarten class and one first grade class. Both teachers, Mrs. R and Mrs. Q, are Caucasian. I have observed that they are sensitive to characteristics that differentiate themselves from the students and the students from one another. They recognize linguistic differences that can sometimes hinder learning of children who do not speak English as their primary language, and make attempts to accommodate them. Claude Goldenberg’s article entitled “Teaching English Language Learners” provides evidence that children will have a higher level of reading achievement in English if they are taught to read in their first language. I’d like to address this in talking about my observations in Mrs. Q’s kindergarten class.

In conversation with Mrs. Q, I have asked her what she feels is the most difficult aspect of her daily teaching. She replied that two factors contribute to obstacles in her classroom: behavior management and linguistic hurdles. She said that many of her students come from families where Spanish is spoken at home, making it more challenging for them to learn the academic English language. I noticed Mrs. Q making adjustments for these students. Examples of this included spending five extra minutes with them to review lessons that were just taught while the rest of the class had coloring time. Goldenberg agrees that this is an effective strategy to help support ELLs. Another technique Mrs. Q uses that Goldenberg finds helpful is adjusting her instructions according to a student’s proficiency in English. I noticed that she often speaks slower, annunciates better and uses different words when directly talking to a student who primarily speaks Spanish. In our small groups, I tutor students who speak both English and Spanish as their primary language. I have taken cues from Goldenberg as well as Mrs. Q, and have simplified instructions of our activities. I have consistently tried to pronounce my worlds more clearly, and I think it has been helping. I notice that when I do, Seriana*, a young Hispanic girl, watches my mouth form words and silently repeats the word formation herself.

Though Mrs. Q does not speak Spanish herself, she recognized that this language is part of the personal identity of many of her students. It can act as a tool to help students transfer knowledge of their first language and apply it to learning proper academic English language. However, Goldenberg stresses that this is not automatic. When I have a classroom of my own, I will be sure to provide additional guidance to students who are in the process of transferring information. Moreover, I will remember to demonstrate sensitivity to linguistic differences. I will make every attempt possible to bridge the gap between two very different languages so students can succeed in their academic endeavors.

* name has been changed

0 comments:

Post a Comment