Friday, December 4, 2009

Prompt #5

Posted by Meghan

In my opinion, parental involvement in students’ education is a crucial factor to them succeeding. If a student feels supported and encouraged by a parent at home and recognizes those same feelings from a teacher in the classroom, it seems to me that a student will have a better chance of staying motivated and reaching their full potential. More importantly, if a parent feels included in the education of their student, the parent and the teacher will have a better relationship and strive to help that student achieve all that they are possible of, knowing that the interest of the student is at heart.

Unfortunately, family involvement is not always as abundant as one might hope. Data shows that in 2008, approximately 38% of parents (who responded to the SALT survey) whose children attend Armstrong Elementary participated in the education of their child. The same study showed that a whopping 100% of teachers felt that two-way communication between home and school is essential to effective communication. However, only about 50% of teachers are satisfied with the support of the parents and community to the school and its program.

I’m ashamed to admit that initially, I couldn’t help but feel that if a parent was not involved in their child’s education, they most likely did not care. Over time though, I observed, reevaluated this opinion, and learned to take a second look at the situation. I now realize there are many factors that contribute to parents’ inability to actively participate. Many students at Armstrong Elementary come from low-income families, many speak a language other than English as their primary language, and some simply do not have the resources to do so. In addition, many parents may just not know the steps to take to become involved. It would seem that an effective method to address this would be to give parents a concrete task, rather than just hoping they’ll be involved. For example, instead of encouraging parents to participate in their child’s education, I might ask if they would review their reading assignments with them three times a week. If I were a teacher at this school, I would absolutely feel that these are challenges I would need to strive to overcome.

While these obstacles would be difficult to deal with, I feel every effort to collaborate with parents should be made. Ideally I would begin the school year by having a meeting with each parent to discuss both our goals for the year for their child. An open dialogue throughout the year would assure them that I am committed to helping their child succeed, and would give both myself and the parent insight into the life of their child (their academic capabilities, personal life, past experiences etc.). Also, it may be helpful to have a night where all teachers and students can gather to meet each other and socialize. In addition, they may be able to make connections with others in their community as a support tool.

Armstrong Elementary is a very culturally diverse school, so acknowledging different cultures and letting parents know they are respected may be a way to gain trust between the parents and me as a teacher. Throughout the year, I would give regular reports to parents about their child’s progress/difficulties, and let them know that I am willing to collaborate with them and discuss ways of helping their child grow and learn.

Ultimately, I think that communication is the biggest factor to initially overcome, but in the end would be the key to successfully involving families and helping a child thrive and succeed.

2 comments:

Lisa Couto said...

Meghan,

I completely agree with you that parental involvement in their child’s education is key if they want to succeed. When parents are actively involved in their child’s education it shows the child that school is important and that it is very important for them to try their hardest in class. It also shows the child that they care about their future and it gives them something to work towards. I know that when I was growing up my parents always told me if I want to be successful I need to work hard and get good grades. Having my parents involved in my education made me wanted to make them proud and do the best that I could.
I am very shocked to see that only 38% of parents in your school are actively participating in their child’s education. I think that is so sad because at that age I know from personal experience that if I didn’t have my parents motivating me to succeed I wouldn’t know any better and would not be trying my hardest. I really like your idea of giving the parents a specific task to do each week. It is a good way for the parents to be involved in their child’s education. Even if they only do the minimum a little motivation may help in the long run.
Also, when you have your meeting with the parents you could explain Lisa Delpit’s ideas that schooling prepares people for jobs and the kind of job a person has determines his or her economic status which ultimately results in power. You could explain that if the students do not work hard at a young age then when they enter middle school they most likely will carry on their old habits of just getting by. Lisa Delpit also talks about some communicative strategies such as ways of talking, ways of writing, ways of dressing, and ways of interacting. If you follow some of these communicative strategies these parents will feel more comfortable talking to you and take you more seriously that you really are concerned about their child’s education.

Gerri August said...

I applaud you candid examination of your assumptions regarding parental involvement, Meghan. Your self-reflection demonstrates that you are committed to empowering education.

Kudos,
Dr. August

Post a Comment